Sunday, May 22, 2011
Taking action to save science!
I feel that each day I make some effort to keep science on the minds of my fellow teachers and administrators. I even found an article tonight as I completed this week's assignments and emailed it to my building administrator. In a nutshell, the article shows recent research showing that literacy and science achievement increase significantly when literacy skills are practiced using science related materials in relation to literacy lessons with excerpts from unrelated pieces of literature. I have often fought the notion that literacy strategies should be taught in science class. Certainly they can be used in the reading of any appropriate literature but not in place of science. In fact, it has been my premise that literacy strategies should be taught using other content area materials. The cross curricular connections would be invaluable and would help to deepen content and conceptual knowledge. The greatest challenge I face each day is from the administration wanting to push literacy and mathematics at the expense of science. Some of my colleagues have followed suit. They know that only the math and literacy scores are being used to determine AYP (adequate yearly progress). So given that idea, they are even much more likely to take the alloted time from science to add more literacy and math instruction. It has been so frustrating. I do have most of the teachers in my building on board with the science crisis we are facing. I cannot honestly say the same for the rest of the elementary teachers in my district, however.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment