Sunday, March 20, 2011

A scientifically literate and compassionate response to disasters

I think science is an excellent way to show the unbelievable force that can be unleashed upon us at a moments notice.  It can also be a way in which to show students other geographic areas as well as other cultures.  We can also use this to show a commonality in that we all, at some point, will face adversity.  Compassion tells us to help those and hope that when it is our time to need from others, we will be so lucky to have someone show compassion for us.  I would use the data available to us, via the internet, to help my students understand these events on a scientific level, but also on a humanitarian level.  I would ask if any of my students have been touched in some way by the disaster and if they have felt moved to help in some way.  I would encourage my students, in an open discussion, to become involved in helping in some way. 

2 comments:

  1. Tammi,

    I agree that as a science teacher, natural disasters allow for a teachable moment about the forces of our Earth. They also give us a chance to show our sense of humanity to others. When we discussed the recent disaster in Japan, my students mentioned that we are all humans so we should always help others. It feels great to have my students understand this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammi,

    I shared this link with Amanda as well, but think that it is a wonderful way to both learn a little more about the Japanese culture (through the legend of the paper crane) as well as make a contribution:

    http://studentsrebuild.org/japan/

    Amy :)

    ReplyDelete